This lovely lodge lies on a sweeping bend of the Zambezi River, only fifteen kilometres upstream from what Livingston called "the celebrated falls of the Zambezi". It was Livingston who named them the Victoria Falls; to the local population they were "mosioatunya" - the smoke that thunders. Tongabezi Lodge is beautifully placed for trips to the falls, yet is exclusive and away from the crowds.
There is a choice of accommodation at the lodge. You may either stay in one of five luxurious en-suite cottages close to the waters edge all of which have a lovely, tranquil ambience, or in one of the large double-bedded houses. The four houses - named Honeymoon, Bird, Dog and Tree - have sunken baths in the private bathrooms, romantic four-poster beds, and private verandas with stunning views across the river.
The Honeymoon House has been described as "worth getting married for"! Old fashioned wind-up telephones connect all the rooms to the kitchen for room service and the decorative style is naturalistic, African in spirit and extremely stylish, (in common with Sausage Tree Camp which is in the same portfolio). Dining is in considerable style. The table for dinner is laid out on the riverbank with the sounds of the African night surrounding you and the reflection of the dying sun on the waters.
The lodge has its own grass tennis court, so is one of the few places left in which you may practice for Wimbledon! A lovely pool made from natural rock allows views out over the river while you swim. There is a croquet lawn and - for the more actively inclined - boat trips, white water rafting and tiger fishing on the river. One of the nicest things to do is to take one of the Lodge's delicious champagne picnics to Livingston Island. Right on the edge of Victoria Falls this little island is only accessible by canoe and is possibly the most exclusive lunch spot in the world! Tongabezi effortlessly recreates the excitement and style of old Africa.
· All meals and drinks (house wine) inclusive
· Swimming pool
· Grass tennis court
· Croquet lawn
· Golf available nearby (24km or 40 minute drive)
· Boat trips to Victoria Falls
· Sunset/sunrise boat trips, fishing, bird walks, gorge walks, afternoon canoeing, visit to Zambian side of Victoria Falls, game drives and more are all inclusive
· Canoe safaris, camping on islands and white water rafting available
· Tiger fishing
· Riding available
· Four twin-bedded, and one double-bedded, cottages - all with private bathroom and verandah
· Four double-bedded houses all with four-poster bed, private bathroom with sunken bath and private verandah